Thursday, October 24, 2013

REST WELL

Azikiwe-Nnamdi 1904 - 1996
I try to be strong
But these tears flood my eyes
These tears fill my heart,
I try not to believe that I won't see you again
I try to dial you phone number hoping to meet the surprise of your reply

I try to pretend you will still eat my specially made dishes for you and sing me sweet compliments
But no...
Papa lies stills and silent forever

Death has ceased you but we refuse to give it a crown
We will not weep in hopelessness
But we will celebrate the life and legacy you left behind
We will apply as always the wisdom you taught and teach your grand children as you taught us
We will uphold the peace that you stood for and the honor you died with
We will stand out as your daughters and sons, 
nmoved by the decay and corruption this new world teaches
You always taught us hard work and diligence
A culture perfected through experience and not pretense
It hurts to say good bye 
But we are proud have had you while you were here
Prouder still to have had you as our father

Good bye my father
Sleep in peace till the trumpets call
Rest well till we meet again

No comments:

Post a Comment