Thursday, October 24, 2013

ONCE AGAIN I BID THEE FAREWELL

Obafemi Awolowo 1909 - 1987



In your steps the darkness of a nation was reproached
Your light was from God and could not be put out
You were the standard of all things good
You cleared the path of doubt and gave us all the confidence we stand upon today
You stood as a pillar for all to see
You stood for good and evil resented you
You stood as a tall and mighty tree
A shelter and comfort for all
You were our strength
Our voice
A great hero
A worthy father
A soldier of life
A warrior of morals stands

I am used to knocking your door and hearing your response
I am used to hearing the soft melody of you voice when you invoke wisdom
I am used to the peace your that resides in your heart
I am used to the protection your presence carries
Where are you my father ...

I am used to hearing you tell me tales of your walk through life's stormy roads
I am used to hearing you compliment my efforts
I can't believe I won't hear your thundering laughter anymore
I won't see those concerned eyes open again
Where are you my father...

My father, where are you?
What do I do without you?
My pride,
My strength,
My joy,
My gentle guardian angel,
Where are you my father...

I have put the past behind
I have accepted your good byes
But, Papa,
Oh Papa, what do we tell the new breed

With a heavy heart
Upon these pages
With tear filled eyes
I cry in loud silence and once again I bid thee farewell

Good night Papa

No comments:

Post a Comment